Thursday, May 31, 2012

Peak-ed! - 1

The 2 Day 1 Night climb, is magnificent, surely, definitely, undoubtedly, and no-word-can-use-to-describe! The highest peak in Southeast Asia, also known as the Low's Peak, located in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, as a World Heritage Site. Making my way to the climb, given the fact that knowing this is a rocky mountain, it reminds me that I studied geology before. As I move along, those "Igneous Rock", "Metamorphic Rock", Limestone Hill" were popping across my mind. Allow me to start my adventure with the start of the day itself.


I slept as the time strikes 0000, technically, my watch. Having in my mind that I need to wake up in 5 hours to have my stomach filled, I was thinking what to be expected while on the two-hour-journey to get there. The fact is, I got up even before the alarm rang, as usual, I was waiting for it to ring, so that I can shut it down, and rest for another few minutes. However, I wasn't doing that for a particular reason, I got myself up at 0500 sharp, according to my watch. 


We were staying in Marina Court Apartment, PAN HOUSE!
The super nice living room with flat screen tv!
The nice dining table for breakfast! Super like the Table stand!

As soon as after we breakfast-ed and bag_pack-ed, we leave to the designated venue at 0600. While we outskirt-ing in the van, the scenery along side was awesome, and still is! Although the sun was a little bit too bright, it sharpened and drove my essence and psyche vigorously! The burning spirit kept my mind fresh and awake, turning the patient into impatient, for the eager to reach the summit.
Can you see the sun in van~

The nice warm sun rise~ <3

0800, as estimated, we reach there. The air here is just chilling, if I were to make a description, it was more or less like the atmosphere in Genting. There is a Chinese proverb saying, "A workman must first sharpen his tools if he is to do his work well". Try to guess the original phrase, for those who think they know it. We were kindly advice to own a 'tongkat'. Here's the few particular funny moment. As we were thinking, should we rent it, or buy it? (Huh? Pig?) Then I was thinking, I might not be using it after this trip, so might as well just rent it, for the expensive price here. After figuring out that there is no more stock for us to rent, we need to purchase it. (oh? now no pig~) Settling with the portal, costing RM100 each, we were geared up, apart from amazing the glorious of the peak, from the bottom.
The view from the valley~

The 'useful' tongkat~

Since we were starting from another spot, the Mesilau trail, instead of Timpohon, we van for another one hour. Here, we have another different view of the peak from the bottom, compared to the earlier one. Upon gather-ed and briefing-ed, with wasting no more time, the team took the first step, heading the peak! For your information, the chosen trail was 2km extra than the other one. We pick this one, simply because they said this trail got more eye-seeing scenery, Timpohon is just merely 'stairs going up continuously'. Well, whatever it is, it's up for you to find out yourself. People say, you just 'listen'. 

The view from Mesilau starting point.

Mountain guide was giving briefing.

The map~

START!

The bag that 'portal' helps to carry~

I shall give you a few worth eye-seeing scenery. Let the pictures tell the story. Ohya, the funny thing about my this very first mountain climbing is, I fart all the way! Impressive!


This remind me of the Senbam trip in Kuching!



The first few km with the relaxing route,
sorry for the side-way picture,
I have no idea how to pusing it.

With the starting time of 0930, we achieved 0.5km at 0950, 1.0km at 1015, 1037 at 1.5km, while 1105 at 2.0km. I think I missed the 2.5km sign board. Upon completing 2.5km, this is the spot where I realised I can't help myself stop farting since the beginning. That might be the reason I over-see the sign board. Nevermind~ When my watch ticked 1140, it's the 3.0km check point. At that particular moment, I felt grateful that I actually bought the tongkat, it just save me from slipping down a few times! After a five-minute-walk,  I bend to tie my loosen shoe lace, surprisingly, I can see my own leg was shaking un-control-able-ly, it's very obvious! It's my first time to see my leg shake itself that way. Another 3.5km check point is done when it's 1212, a nice number.

As if we're buried in the cloud of sea~ 

Basically, it took us about 1 hour for each km. While having short break at the pondok, squirrels were to be found, around the 'rubbish' bin, searching for food, I guessed. My aunty claimed that they were the mountain rats. They were cute, as if playing hide and seek with the mountain climbers. 

The pressure! causes the pack to 'expand'~

As soon as my watch showed a quarter to 1300, we marked 4.0km achievement. This is the spot where I started to feel the chill again, while I'm still farting. I wonder if someone might be smelling it? I'm just not sure, since the others were just far ahead of us. It's surely getting colder as the time passed, and darker, too. I felt like, as if we were going through the cloud, and the lights were blocked. Taking down my spec as usual, my breath just blur-ed the lens! Cool~ 

The nice trees~

The track just keep on continued. As I walked, I kept on yawning, whereby I started wondering, is it due to the drop of oxygen concentration? Another 20-minute-walk changed my thinking, exhausting, I realised that my stamina wasn't as good as before, given then fact that, I'm not trained for this climb. However, it's still okay for me, at least, the surrounding wasn't that warm, the chilling effect made my breathing smooth, not having any 'huhu' sound, yet. During the entire journey, people just kept on encouraging one another, either you know that person or not. "Slow Slow Walk" is the most frequent heard here, by the mountain climbers, foreigners, guides, anyone. I now understand, why do people always say, mountain climbers are all very friendly.

Going up~

Going up, still~

The thick fog~

By completing another 0.5km, it's 1325. I was thinking, and feeling thankful that, it's such a nice day to visit the peak. We were told that, the best time for climbing will be during March - May, for the dry season. We were lucky enough to have the pour only at 1340. As soon as the rain starts getting heavier at 1400, we reached the 'big hut', where we're having our lunch. Some people were just busy applying the muscle cream, putting on / taking off the jacket, wearing rain coat, eating chocolate, taking photo, etc. I was busy enjoy over everything, especially on the nature itself! 25 minutes are all we need, here's the thing, if you were to rest for too long, it's really bad if your body had cool-ed down and you want to start over again, trust me, you don't want that to happen. With the freezing hand and plastic_cloth-ed, I can feel the cold-ness in my nose. After the big pondok, the route was told to be 'easier' and nice-er to walk.

You can refill your water along the way,
'angmo' called it tap water.

As soon as the time strikes 1500, the rain stops. Finally, I see the sun, it's above the head. While I was still carrying on to fart, I saw people's breath as they breathe! I tried to blow on my hand but I hardly see anything. :( The scenery is really like no others, as if you were in heaven, with the clouds surrounded. Turn around, what you can see are merely sea of clouds! I'm physically tired along the way, for me, it's more like my training last time. I was a backstroke-er, and my right leg join aches every time when I had my training. At the moment, I had the same ache on the same spot. On the other hand, I was informed that we're at somewhere about 2700m above sea level. This's the place where I found some plants that only can be found in high land.

BIG pitcher plant~ 
(oo) <-- Pig's Plant

I bet it can digest my hand if I put it in~

Syurgar~ 仙境!

Anonymous flower~

While relieving the soreness in my leg, we have come to the check point, joining the two different routes. The time was 1600. Most of the people feel relieved, as they had achieved at least half of the journey. It's then just 2km to Laban Rata, where we would had an over night. 2.0km wasn't sound that bad.

The simpang combining Timpohon and Mesilau


2 comments: